Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom Review

1. Reaction to the text:

Personally I find that there isn't enough information about the characters, even just in the first chapter, to find myself engaged or invested in their story. Even though the concepts of synthetic immortality and a world dominated by the Disney monopoly are interesting, there is so little about the people I'm reading about or the world they live in that I am completely emotionally detached. The argument for suicide of immortals is something that I'm very interested in, when does a life become too long and when does choosing to end ones own life no longer fall under taboo, I find myself rather apathetic to Dan's internal battle. I think that the reason for this is because there wasn't enough exposition for the world building or the narrator. The voice of the narrative itself is fine, reading rather organically like quick diary entries or internal monologue.

2. Connections made with the story:

As I mentioned in the previous question I found myself very interested in the concept of immortality and death. As a fan of vampire novels, especially some of Anne Rice's first few, the philosophy behind extended lives and the controversy behind our license over our own mortality are topics that I enjoy exploring. That being said there are major bombs dropped in this department that are totally overlooked- making Dan's struggles to grapple with his lack of self-worth and will to live feel artificial and two-dimensional. While it is an easy trap to fall into a painfully melodramatic tangent in regard to such heavy topics, and I respect that the author did not fall into it, I think that they have gone in the complete opposite direction- overlooking great material to draw the readership in. Of course it must be noted that I've only read the first two and a half chapters.

3. Suggestions for change, and for an alternative medium:

I believe that this story, especially given the pacing of the narrative, would actually do very well as an animated series- the flavor of it already seems like something that could turn into a pretty successful anime. The concepts are a little too heavy for Western cartoons; but immortality and license over death as well as the development of a civilization dominated by the Disney monopoly, have a really fantastical and futuristic flavor that a fanbase could definitely get drawn in by. Especially given the lack of detail to the characters expressiveness I think that a visual medium would really help to explore the emotional value of the characters- thereby creating an invested and engaged audience. Right now there is just no, at least for me, draw.

Comments

Popular Posts